Cheesin' for Fromage—A Day in the French Academy
Location: Green Mountain College
7:30 am Breakfast
9:00 am Assembly
9:30 am Class Block 1/break
10:30 am Class Block 2/break
11:30 am Class Block 3
12:30 pm Lunch
1:15 pm Free Time
2:00 pm Cultural Exploration
3:45 pm Activities/Exercise/Free time
5:30 pm Dinner & Free Time
7:30 pm Evening Activities
9:15 pm Dorm activities/snack
10:00 pm In room/Journaling
10:30 pm Lights out
What the French Academy did today:
After a hearty breakfast of eggs, hashbrowns, and a fruit medley, students set off for their third day of classes. Level 1 students are currently learning greeting and introductions, stringing together “Bonjours!” and descriptions of their hometowns, daily routines, and favorite activities.
Level 2 students are also describing their routines, families, and interests. Simultaneously, they are learning all about the household chores of French-speaking children around the world. Faire la vaisselle (washing the dishes), nettoyer la cuisine (cleaning the kitchen), and sortir la poubelle (taking out the trash) are all on the menu of tasks that parents assign their kids!
In Level 3 classes, students are learning the art of starting, maintaining, and ending conversations with their peers. They practiced discussing their lives at home and comparing it to those of students in their target countries.
Level 4 students are getting to know their classmates by exchanging information related to areas of mutual interest. In class, they read extensively, identifying the main idea and details in articles and other media from their target countries. Today, they presented their language learning history and set goals for the rest of the summer.
After lunch, students participating in cultural exploration activities. These included:
- Discussing the origin and colorful characters of the Guignol Puppet Theater in France. Students worked in small groups to write and perform a skit with their very own guignols!
- Indulging in popular dishes, cheeses, and desserts in French cuisine
- Exploring the world of French comic books! In this class, students were introduced to BD (comic book) culture in the Francophone world and created a portion of an original BD in groups.
- Learning about beauty as a concept in the Francophone world!
- Students studied the distinct culture of Bororo people from Niger and their unique cult of beauty and elegance.
- Discovering French theater! Students learned about basic theater while focusing on the works of Molière. They also learned how to present and act out short scenes.
For evening activities, students have/had Study Hall and Clubs on Tuesday and Thursday. Tonight, they’re doing a mini Living Group competition! Students will be tactfully constructing "bridges" using only paper and tape with their living groups. Whichever team’s bridge can hold the most weight will be the winner! There will also be an acting competition where students are given scenes to theatrically recreate in front of other living groups.
Check back on Friday to read more about the French Academy!