Our list of must-have items to pack for four weeks of language immersion.
You've committed to spending four weeks immersed in language at the Academy. Now, what do you need to pack? Here are some of our suggestions for packing for your language Academy experience in the U.S. or abroad.
- Everyday clothes: T-shirts, shorts, jeans, summer dresses (informal), etc.
- Athletic clothing for sports activities
- Dress clothes: Shirt/polo and pants, skirts, dresses, etc.
- Underwear, socks and pajamas
- Sweatshirt and rain jacket (for outdoor activities at night)
- Shoes: Sneakers, flip flops, and a pair of walking sandals with backs
- Bathing suit, beach towel, sunglasses, a hat, sunscreen
- Toiletries (toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, other personal items)
- Alarm clock
- Hair dryer
- Comfortable back pack or day pack
- A language dictionary (suggested, but not required)
- Water bottle
- Musical instruments (for Vermont Academies only)
When packing clothes, think about comfort for a range of activities from relaxing in the dorm, to walking in town, to sports or visits to local sites. Bring enough clothes for two weeks, as you will have access to laundry facilities on site, and keep your clothing with English words on it at home to minimize English pollution. Bedding is provided for all students.
We urge you to label all belongings, including clothing, with first and last names. In general, we recommend that you leave valuables at home. See our handbooks for a full packing list.